07/02/2020 0 Comments
Tips for Handling and Avoiding Orthodontic Emergencies
There are very few true orthodontic emergencies. In fact, the most pressing emergency we see with Invisalign® orthodontics is a patient who has lost or broken one of their aligners.
That’s less an emergency and more an inconvenience, causing you to make an unscheduled stop to see your orthodontist in Red Deer to have it replaced. You shouldn’t leave it too long, though. A disruption in your treatment schedule may cause delays in correcting your teeth.
By following the tips below, you will avoid unnecessary complications and ensure your treatment goes according to plan.
Invisalign® Treatment Do List:
- Wear each set of aligners for at least two weeks
- Wear aligners for 18 – 20 hours per day
- Clean aligners once a day using denture cleaning tablets
- Remove aligners starting at the back molars
- Always place aligners in their case when not in your mouth
- Rinse or brush aligners before putting them back in your mouth
- When reinserting, start at the front teeth and move to the back molars
- Drink water while aligners are in
- Use a straw when drinking dark liquids (to avoid stains)
- Wear aligners exactly as instructed in the schedule provided
- Keep a few previous aligners in a clean plastic bag
- Use “aligner chewies” as instructed during the first few days of wearing a new aligner
Invisalign® Treatment Don’t List:
- Discard your aligners, unless otherwise instructed
- Chew gum when wearing your aligners
- Leave aligners in a hot vehicle
- Boil aligners (they’re plastic!)
- Leave aligners out where pets or small children can reach them
- Wrap aligners in a paper napkin (they’ll be tossed in the trash!)
- Eat while wearing your aligners
- Go anywhere without bringing your case with you
- Use toothpaste or mouthwash on your aligners
- Bite your aligners into place (you’ll damage them!)
What to Do If You Lose or Damage Your Invisalign® Braces?
If you’ve lost or damaged your aligners, contact your orthodontist in Red Deer as soon as possible to get advice on what to do given your situation.
If it’s only a couple days before your next set of aligners, you may be instructed to move forward with those ones. On the other hand, if you try to put your next set in too early they won’t fit properly and could break.
For that reason, you should always save your last few aligners so you can immediately replace one if needed until you get a chance to talk to your orthodontist.
Getting Invisalign® in Red Deer
If you’re looking for Red Deer Orthodontics, Appleway Dental Clinics have highly skilled orthodontists trained in providing Invisalign® braces. So if you’re thinking about getting orthodontic treatment but loathe the idea of wearing metal braces, give us a call today!